Driving licences for motorhomes

In Europe, the driving licence required to drive a motorhome depends on the weight of the vehicle.

  • If the motorhome weighs less than 3.5 tonnes, a B licence (standard driving licence) is sufficient.
  • If the motorhome weighs more than 3.5 tonnes, you will need a C1 licence. This licence allows you to drive vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes.

Outside Europe, the rules may differ. Generally, an international driving licence is recommended if you are driving in a non-European country, but the specific requirements depend on the country in question.

Driving a motorhome in the United States?

In the United States, the rules on the driving licence required to drive a motorhome can vary slightly from state to state. However, in most States, a standard driving licence (the equivalent of a B licence) is sufficient to drive most motorhomes.

If the motorhome has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 pounds (around 11,800 kg), some states may require a higher category driving licence, similar to a C1 licence.

Foreign drivers are generally advised to obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP) in their home country before leaving. The International Driving Permit is not a driving licence in its own right, but a translation of the user’s national driving licence. It must be used in conjunction with the original driving licence.

It is always advisable to check the specific rules of the States you plan to visit before you leave.