What fuel for a motorhome?

Which fuel : Diesel or petrol?

It goes without saying that you need to be very careful about the type of fuel you put in the motorhome.

If it’s diesel, as in most cases in Europe, elsewhere it could be petrol, and in North America it’s almost exclusively petrol.

Even if in theory this is not possible, be careful not to put petrol in the water tank: this has already happened on certain models where the fuel and water tank caps are close together or look alike.

How can I limit fuel consumption?

Here are a few useful tips on how to drive more economically and ecologically.

Fill up before returning the motorhome

In all cases, make a note of the starting fuel level (the vehicle is usually delivered with a full tank) and return the vehicle with the same level of fuel to avoid service charges that will be higher than the price paid at the pump.

Useful links USA

Here are some campground sites:
http://www.freecampgrounds.com (free campgrounds or less than 10$)

Drain stations if you are not staying at a campground:

International driving licence

Depending on the country, the international driving licence may be free or for a small fee. In all cases, allow a reasonable period of at least 1 month to obtain it.

The international driving licence, valid for 3 years, is a translation of your English driving licence and is recommended but not compulsory.

It is in no way a substitute for your national driving licence, which you will still need to show on the day you pick up your car, and to the local authorities if you have to deal with them.

Driving licences for motorhomes

In Europe, the driving licence required to drive a motorhome depends on the weight of the vehicle.

  • If the motorhome weighs less than 3.5 tonnes, a B licence (standard driving licence) is sufficient.
  • If the motorhome weighs more than 3.5 tonnes, you will need a C1 licence. This licence allows you to drive vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes.

Outside Europe, the rules may differ. Generally, an international driving licence is recommended if you are driving in a non-European country, but the specific requirements depend on the country in question.

Driving a motorhome in the United States?

In the United States, the rules on the driving licence required to drive a motorhome can vary slightly from state to state. However, in most States, a standard driving licence (the equivalent of a B licence) is sufficient to drive most motorhomes.

If the motorhome has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 pounds (around 11,800 kg), some states may require a higher category driving licence, similar to a C1 licence.

Foreign drivers are generally advised to obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP) in their home country before leaving. The International Driving Permit is not a driving licence in its own right, but a translation of the user’s national driving licence. It must be used in conjunction with the original driving licence.

It is always advisable to check the specific rules of the States you plan to visit before you leave.

Maximum age for driving a motorhome

In general, and with a few exceptions, there is no maximum age for driving a motorhome.

However, over the age of 80, hire companies do require a medical certificate.

Note that in some countries, such as the UK, Ireland and Italy, some hire companies do not hire motorhomes over the age of 75.

Minimum age for driving a motorhome

The minimum age for hiring and driving a motorhome may vary depending on the country and the rental policies of each agency, but in general you need to be at least 21 or 25 years old to hire and drive a motorhome.

Some countries may also require the driver to have a certain number of years’ driving experience, usually between 1 and 3 years. It is advisable to check the specific requirements of the rental agency before booking a motorhome. You will find this information on the online offers and in PDF format.

Note that some vehicles, particularly in the USA, Australia and New Zealand, can be driven by people aged 18 and over, with or without supplements.


Pets are generally accepted in vehicles. However, some rental companies ask to be informed and/or others charge a higher deposit and/or a fixed cleaning fee depending on the breed and/or size of the animal. In all cases, please let us and/or the car hire know.


GPS can be useful when you’re in unknown territory…

It is sometimes included in the basic hire price, but is generally offered as an optional service.

It’s usually a removable device such as a Tom-Tom or Garmin.

If you have a GPS, it may be useful and economical to take it with you, making sure beforehand that it is loaded with the maps of the country you are visiting, or to update it with the latest maps.

All motorhome dashboards are equipped with 12V sockets.

You can also use your smart phone or digital tablet, but check with your telephone operator for any roaming charges.